Prepare your Home for Winter
We all know it is coming, so best to be prepared to avoid unnecessary problems.
- Check your roof. Water is the number one enemy of your home. A roof leak can not only damage your ceilings, walls and floors, but it can also cause mold and subsequent health issues. If you can get up on your roof, take a good look at it. If you have singles, are there any loose or missing? If tar and gravel, do you have bares spots. If it is sprayed foam, are there any blisters or splits? Are all of the flashings well sealed? If you spot any problems, call a roofer now to correct them before the rainy season. If you cannot get up on your roof, or at least a ladder, I advise calling a roofer in to check your roof to make sure it is water tight.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts. Clogged gutters and downspouts can force water over the edges and into your fascia and eaves, causing them to rot. This is a very common problem that can be quite expensive to fix, but it is inexpensive to prevent.
- Extend your downspouts so rainwater does not pool up against your foundation. Water that pools against the foundation can get into your crawlspace (if you have one) or undermine the foundation base itself.
- Seal up any cracks and voids around doors and windows. If your house paint is peeling or cracked, consider repainting before rainy season. Sometimes the house paint is fine but the trim needs a new coat to protect the underlying wood from water damage.
- If you use your fireplace, check to make sure it is clean and the damper works. Keep the damper closed when not in use.
- Check your furnace filters and replace them if they are dirty. You should do this on a regular basis during the winter months to keep your furnace running more efficiently.
- Make sure you have adequate some detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. This is a basic and inexpensive safety precaution that can save lives.
- It is also a good time to clean up your yard, trim bushes and trees, so your yard will look good again in the spring.
If you need references for roofer, gutter cleaners, landscapers or handymen, give me a call at 650-906-0162 I would be happy provide some references.